Sunday, September 9, 2012

Blog Post #2

Did You Know?
Having just watched Dr. Strange's "Did You Know" YouTube video, I have come to realize that the world is moving much faster than I ever imagined. The technology boom moving right along with the population. With a bigger, more globalized population, there is a need for better and more varied technology.

As the world grows so does the way we communicate and share media. Sites such as YouTube and Facebook are better connecting people and ideas from all around the world with out ever leaving the office chair. The internet as a whole is a vast and wonderful resource for learning and I do believe incorporating it into the class room will not only help students gain knowledge, but help educators find new and inventive ways to deliver that knowledge.

Mr. Winkle

"Mr Winkle Wakes" is a short video about a old man who wakes after a hundred year slumber to find how technology has changed the world. He visits a few places after he awakes to investigate the goings on, only to be scared and disappointed in what the world has become. At the end of the video, Mr. Winkle visits a school where a student has left a broken laptop on his desk and was writing notes by hand. He reflects "some things never change" This I disagree with.

As recently as six years ago , ( my first time through U.S.A. ) the way I'm learning is almost completely different. As more technology comes available, the education system adapts with it. I believe if the way we educate never changed, students would become bored and disillusioned with traditional schools completely.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Sir Ken Robinson. His speech in the video "The Importance of Creativity" hit very close to home for me. The ideas and concerns expressed in this video mirror what I went through as a young student myself.

When I was middle and high school student I was unable to sit still and was branded by my teachers as ADHD. My parents went along with it and tried various medications all to no avail. It was not till a wonderful teacher at ( the now closed ) Old Spanish Fort Christian School by the name of Julia Thomas took the time to see how I could learn but to push me to do so.

Being shut down like that as kid was what makes me want to be a teacher. Nurturing creativity is the most important thing for me as a individual and as a professorial. I want to help people that are going though what I did and help push them in a way that makes them want to learn and want to succeed in not only school but life.

The Future

With the technology changing day to day it is interesting to see what is in store for us. "A Day Made of Glass" showcases some interesting inventions that will keep the word connected and moving forward. Glass looks to be a great tool for the family and professorial alike.

Today my wife and I were on the phone discussing a funny situation she saw while on assignment for the Coast Guard. She said "I wish you could see this right now". With the Glass glasses shown in the "Project Glass: Live Demo at Google", this would be completely possible. I look forward to using this type of technology in the near future.





2 comments:

  1. "...about a old man" ... an not a

    "Mr. Winkle visits a school where a student has left a broken laptop on his desk and was writing notes by hand." The computer in the video wasn't broken. It was dusty. And it wasn't on a student's desk. It was at the back of the room. What video did you watch?

    Generally thoughtful and on target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog post was very well written. I liked the fact that you said, "As more technology comes available, the education system adapts with it. I believe if the way we educate never changed, students would become bored and disillusioned with traditional schools completely." I agree with you, if the way we educate does not change with the new technology, children will become bored with school. I would only suggest that you add links to your post, so for instance, if someone reading your blog would also like to watch the Mr. Winkle Wakes video, that they could do so with ease.

    ReplyDelete